Brian R. Biggie
- Direct — 716.566.5415
- Fax — 716.566.5401
Brian Biggie focuses his practice on complex insurance coverage disputes with significant emphasis on litigation. He has represented and advised multi-national insurance carriers on a range of issues, including priority of coverage; life, health, and disability; underwriting protocols; defenses; and coverage. He has successfully tried insurance coverage actions in both state and federal courts including a recent $4 million insurance fraud claim in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York. Brian has prepared and argued appeals across New York State and has been retained to represent insurers in mediations and arbitrations across the country.
Brian is a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and the New York and Erie County Bar Associations and is active in Insurance & Risk Management Services and Professional Liability Committees with USLAW Network, Inc. He is a frequent lecturer and author on topics related to his areas of practice, and he is one of the creators and editors of Goldberg Segalla’s Professional Liability Monthly, a newsletter detailing recent decisions involving professional liability claims.
Brian was previously Board President of the Buffalo Alliance for Education and has recently secured the merger of the BAE and the Niagara Frontier Industry Education Council. He is Founder and President of The Little Match Girl Foundation Ltd., a nonprofit organization that focuses on helping children in need by collecting and providing them with school supplies, essential seasonal items, holiday gifts, and other donations in collaboration with their schools and other community organizations.
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Business First’s 40 Under 40, 2015
- Recipient of the Commitment to Education Award from the Buffalo Alliance for Education, 2006
- USLAW Network, Inc.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- Founder and President, The Little Match Girl Foundation Ltd.
- Organizer, Buffalo Christmas Wishes Gift Giving Campaign
- Former Board President, Buffalo Alliance for Education
- Committee Member, School Committee, Buffalo Niagara Partnership
- Volunteer, Hertel North Buffalo Business Association
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 2003 (Member, 2003 Jessup Moot Court Team)
- Buffalo State College, B.A., cum laude, 1998
- Presenter, "Primary and Excess Insurer Disputes," US Law Conference, San Antonio, TX, April 9, 2015
- Featured in “Five Questions With…Brian Biggie of Goldberg Segalla,” Buffalo Law Journal, November 11, 2014
- Local Chair, Advanced Insurance Coverage: Emerging Issues, Developments, and Strategy, New York State Bar Association CLE, Amherst, NY, May 9, 2014
- Presenter, "Litigation Update: Recent Decisions from the U.S.," IntAP 2013 Spring Technical Meeting, Munich, Germany, June 12–13, 2013
- Quoted in “Policyholders See Gain in NY Diocese Loss Over Deductibles,” Law360, May 9, 2013
- Panelist, “Lessons Learned From Superstorm Sandy — Regulatory Action or Reaction” and “Insurance Coverage Trends for Construction Defect Claims,” USLAW Spring Conference Spring 2013, Tucson, Arizona, April 3-5
- Co-Author, “The Global Supply Chain: Understanding, Measuring, Mitigating, and Managing Exposures in a Supply Chain Dependent Globalized Market,” IADC Defense Counsel Journal, October 2012
- Co-Author, “Asset Managers Do Not Owe Fiduciary Duty to Note Holders,” Chartis Legal Insights, Fall 2012
- Co-Author, “This Policy May Save Your Day,” Business First, May 4, 2012
- Author, New York Chapter, “Construction Litigation Desk Reference: A State by State Compendium,” The DRI Defense Library Series, 2010
- Co-Author, "The Devil's In the Details: Practical Consequences of Medical Malpractice Reform," International Claim Association Magazine, Winter 2009-2010
- Co-Author, “The Growing Authority of Arbitrators Under the Federal Arbitration Act,” PLUS Journal, July 2009
- Co-Author, "It's Not Easy … The Growing Potential for Green Claims,” For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, April 2009
- Co-Author, “The Unsettling Nature of Right to Consent Provisions in Professional Liability Policies,” FDCC Quarterly, October 2008
- Presenter, US Law Network/Lloyd’s of London Claims Challenge, June 2008
- Co-Author, “An Employee or Not an Employee That Is the Question: Companies Continue to Suffer the Slings and Arrows of Independent Contractors,” DRI Labor Law Magazine, April 2008
- Co-Author, “Saying Goodbye Is Hard to Do: Courts and EEOC Are Taking a Hard Look at Employee Severance Agreements,” Buffalo Law Journal — Labor Edition, March 2008
- Co-Author, “The Graves Amendment: A Widely Accepted Use of Congressional Power,” DRI Trucking Magazine, March 2008
- Co-Author, “Finding Peace Between ERISA and Tribal Sovereignty,” DRI Life, Health and Disability Newsletter, Fall 2007