Christopher P. Maugans
- Direct — 716.710.5825
- Fax — 716.566.5401
Christopher Maugans concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation and matters involving employment and labor law. Chris’s background and experience includes providing legal counsel to the human resources department within a large community college in Western New York, where he helped draft and negotiate collective bargaining agreements, investigated grievances, and led internal investigations into employee attendance, performance, and harassment allegations. He also handled Freedom of Information Law requests, reasonable accommodation requests under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and issues involving the Family Medical Leave Act.
Chris concurrently earned his M.B.A. and J.D. from the State University of New York at Buffalo, where he earned several prestigious fellowships and scholarships. From 2011-2014, Chris participated in the WNY Prosperity Fellowship, a program which invests in the education of students possessing high potential to benefit the economic development of the region. Also in 2011, he was one of four students nationwide to be named a Graduate Foundation Scholar of the National Society for Human Resources Management. In 2010 and 2011, Chris was a WNY Labor and Employment Relations Scholar, and, in 2010, 2011, and 2013, a Buffalo-Niagara Human Resources Student of the Year nominee.
In law school, Chris was a two-year treasurer of the Labor & Employment Relations Society and a participant in several moot courts. He also completed the Center for Resolution and Justice’s 30-hour mediation training. He was a judicial law clerk with the Hon. Frederick Marshall and an extern with the United States Equal Opportunity Commission’s Buffalo office. He also worked as a law clerk for a global private food manufacturing company, where he drafted employment agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and edited employee handbooks.
Chris, who finished in the top 10 percent of his M.B.A. class, is one of the founding members of the Buffalo MBA Consulting Group (BMC), Western New York's first pro bono consulting firm run by M.B.A. students. There, he provided management consultation services to a range of non- and for-profit businesses.
- University at Buffalo School of Management Career Resource Center Alumnus of the Year, 2016
- University at Buffalo School of Management, 50 Most Engaged Alumni, 2015, 2016
- Buffalo Jaycees Outstanding Service Award, 2015
- American Bar Association/Bureau of National Affairs Award for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law, 2014
- William H. Wendel Memorial Award for Student Excellence in Human Resources Management, 2010
- Member, University at Buffalo School of Management LeaderCORE™ Alumni Advisory Council
- Member, WNY Labor & Employment Relations Association
- Member, Organization of Public Employer Negotiators
- Member, Buffalo Niagara Human Resources Association
- Member, University at Buffalo Young Alumni Leadership Council
- Buffalo Junior Chamber of Commerce (Buffalo Jaycees), Legal Counsel to Board of Directors
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D., cum laude, 2014
- State University of New York at Buffalo, M.B.A., 2014
- LeaderCORE™ (Certification of Readiness and Excellence, UB School of Management, 2013)
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., summa cum laude, 2010
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter, "Hot Topics & Recent Developments In Labor & Employment Law," New York State Public Employer Labor Relations Association Annual Conference, July 22, 2016
- Author, "21st Century Human Resources: Employee Advocate, Business Partner, or Both?" Cornell HR Review, February 11, 2015