Damon M. Gruber
- Direct — 716.566.5491
- Fax — 716.566.5401
Damon M. Gruber chairs the firm’s rapidly growing Workers’ Compensation Practice Group. He has led the team since its inception, and over the past 15-plus years, has developed a cohesive workers’ compensation program that allows the group’s attorneys to partner with clients and proactively reduce the risk of workers’ injuries.
As part of his progressive practice, Damon has counseled clients extensively and has implemented firm-wide initiatives that assist companies with a wide range of matters, including opioid reduction, permanency awards, and return-to-work issues.
He and his team now serve as a partner to many national self-insured companies, including those in the construction, retail, trucking, and manufacturing industries. As the leader of the Workers’ Compensation group, Damon works closely with the firm’s other practice groups to ensure clients receive coordinated representation for all their legal needs.
His background in the field includes all aspects of the claims process, from providing initial handling recommendations to overseeing every stage of the litigation process. He also has extensive appellate experience in cases involving sports law, hearing loss, psychological stress, and insurance coverage issues.
Damon is a prominent speaker and author on all aspects of workers’ compensation law. He has spoken at SEAK’s annual workers’ compensation conference, chaired an ExecuSummit seminar, and is extensively involved in USLAW.
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013 (Workers’ Compensation)
- Business First's Who's Who in Law
- Eagle Scout Award
- USLAW Network
- New York Self-Insurers Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Organization of Public Employee Negotiators
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- Coach, Mathewson McCarthy Baseball
- Past Assistant Scout Master, Boy Scouts of America Troop 652
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., 1999 (Regulatory Law Concentration; Specialization in Health Care Law)
- State College of New York, B.A., cum laude, 1996
- Co-Author, “Data-Driven Solutions for America’s Expanding Obesity Problem,” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2016
- Presenter, "Workers' Compensation Difficult Cases: Achieving Closure," SEAK, June 11, 2015
- Co-Author, “Fighting Disability Fraud: How the Long Island Railroad Could Be a Model for All Employers,” USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter 2014
- Co-Author, “Employment of Undocumented Workers by Subcontractors: Evaluating General Contractor Workers’ Compensation Potential Liability,” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2014
- Co-Author, “Construction Injury Case Changes Game for Workers’ Compensation Defense,” Progress! Under Construction, September 2013
- Presenter, New York State Public Employment Labor Relations Association Annual Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY, July 17, 2013
- Presenter, “Interplay Between Benefits,” Advanced Workers’ Compensation CLE, March 2013
- Presenter, "Defense Counsel & Claimant Counsel Go Head to Head on The ‘Reform’," Buffalo Claims Association's 21st Annual Education Day, Niagara Falls, NY, November 2012
- Presenter, "Fundamentals of Workers' Compensation," Sterling Education Services, Inc., August 2009
- Presenter, “The Rocket, Docket, Update on Reforms and Interplay Between Benefits,” September 2009
- Presenter, “A Post Reform Workers' Compensation Update,” New York, NY, August 2008