David G. Harris II
- Direct — 336.419.4910
- Fax — 336.419.4950
David Harris maintains a practice focused on advising and representing insurance carriers, including the interpretation of insurance policies, evaluation of coverage claims, and defense of bad faith and extra-contractual claims. As an insurance coverage litigator, David represents insurers in declaratory judgment actions seeking coverage and allocation determinations, and also defends against a variety of first-party claims, including bad faith and unfair trade practice claims. He also defends against property damage disputes involving matters such as fire, theft, and coverage issues arising out of catastrophic events.
David also represents insurers and their insureds in complex liability matters, including construction defect actions arising out of large multi-family construction projects, catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death claims, defective product actions, and professional negligence claims.
With a sound understanding of developing issues in the insurance industry, David has authored numerous articles on the American Law Institute’s recent development of the “Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance” project. This knowledge enables him to assist clients with current matters while also advising carriers on forward-looking strategies to help clients achieve their desired results.
David is a former law clerk at the North Carolina General Assembly.
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, “Rising Star,” Insurance Coverage, 2014-2016
Professional Affiliations and Training
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Department of Labor OSHA-10 Construction Training
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Youth Soccer Coach, Jamestown Youth League
- Charter Representative, Cub Scout Pack 100, Boy Scouts of America
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2006, with honors
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., 2001, with honors
- Presenter, "The ALI’s Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance and the Impact of the Restatement on the North Carolina Insurance Law Practitioner," North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Winter Conference, Durham, NC, January 27, 2017
- Quoted in “Insurers Concerned as New Legal Guidelines Are Drafted by Prominent Group,” Legal Newsline/Forbes.com, October 25, 2016
- Quoted in “Lawyers at Odds Over Restatement of Law Covering Liability Insurance,” Legal Newsline, September 23, 2016