Debra L. Doby
- Direct — 914.798.5421
- Fax — 914.798.5401
Debra Doby concentrates her practice on workers’ compensation litigation. She has extensive experience representing clients before the New York Workers’ Compensation Board and in appellate courts, deposing medical professionals and other experts, and advising on all aspects of workers’ compensation law. Debra also counsels employers on Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliance and frequently conducts training seminars on minimizing the risk of workplace accidents and related litigation.
Debra is Co-Editor of Goldberg Segalla’s Workers’ Compensation Quarterly newsletter, which examines the latest rulings, developments, and trends impacting the defense of workers' compensation claims.
While receiving her juris doctor from Vermont Law School, Debra was a legal clinician at the Environmental and Natural Resources Legal Clinic in Vermont, where she worked on issues involving the Clean Air Act. As a legal clinician at Maritime New Zealand in Wellington, New Zealand, she counseled employees on OSHA, delegations, and other obligations under the Maritime Transport Act.
In addition to her work as a legal clinician while at Vermont Law School, she was co-Chair of the International Law Society and organizer of the 2009 ILS Annual Conference, and was selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Among American Legal Students.
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2016
- American Bar Association: Vice Chair, Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Washington, D.C. Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
- Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, LL.M., with honors, 2011
- Vermont Law School, J.D., 2009
- University of West Georgia, B.A., cum laude, 2003
- Co-Author, “Curbing Overprescription of Painkillers With Interstate Data Sharing,” American Bar Association TortSource, Vol. 19, No. 1, Fall 2016
- Presenter, "Litigation Strategies for Addressing Over-Prescription of Narcotic Medications," Workers' Compensation Webinar
- Co-Author, “Data-Driven Solutions for America’s Expanding Obesity Problem,” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2016
- Co-Author, “There’s No Such Thing as Free Labor: Risks Associated With Internships,” American Bar Association Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Law Newsletter, Summer 2014
- Co-Presenter, “Sue Everyone! The Anatomy of a Construction Lawsuit,” Professional Women in Construction, New York, May 22, 2014
- Co-Author, “Employment of Undocumented Workers by Subcontractors: Evaluating General Contractor Workers’ Compensation Potential Liability,” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2014
- Presenter, “The Practical Ramifications of Zamora,” Continuing Legal Education Seminar, March 2013
- Author, “Whale Wars: How to End the Violence in the Southern Ocean,” Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, April 2013
- Contributor, “Australia” and “New Zealand,” The ABA Guide to International Bar Admissions, American Bar Association, 2012
- Author, “The Wreck of the Andrew J. Barberi: The Role of Limitation of Liability,” Florida Journal of International Law, August 2011
- Presenter, “Limitation of Liability Regimes in the U.S. and E.U.,” Irish Comparative Law Conference, Belfast University, March 2011
- Author, “Piracy Jure Gentium: The Jurisdictional Conflict of the High Seas and Territorial Seas,” Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, October 2010