Edward K. Kitt
- Direct — 516.281.9835
- Fax — 516.281.9801
Edward Kitt has over 30 years of experience protecting the interests of clients in all aspects of alternative dispute resolution and civil litigation, including arbitration, mediation, and trial. He represents owners, general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, and employers in matters involving Labor Law accident claims; contractual, coverage, and risk-transfer issues; and elevator and escalator liability. Ed represents doctors and hospitals, litigates medical malpractice cases, and advises doctors on business issues. In addition, he represents the hospitality and restaurant industry with premises, security, and dram shop claims, and he also has handled toxic torts, including cases involving mold and lead poisoning.
Ed’s insurance law experience includes providing opinion letters; counseling on first-party, excess, self-, and captive insurance matters; and litigation of complex, third-party claims, subrogation, workers' compensation, UM/SUM, and coverage issues. He has represented several municipalities and numerous public authorities in premises and road-design liability, including property damage and personal injury. Ed also represents manufacturers, distributors, and retailers in product liability matters as well as truck owners and public transit operators in transportation-related accidents. He has advised corporate and business clients on risk management, captive insurance, and government relations. He has lectured on numerous legal issues, including insurance law, lead paint litigation, and trial advocacy.
Ed’s health care industry experience includes representing medical doctors, osteopaths, podiatrists, and chiropractors in malpractice cases, and defending hospitals in malpractice and negligence cases. He has been personal counsel to medical doctors in contract matters involving doctors joining a hospital-owned health systems. Ed prosecuted a breach of contract case for a doctor, and has advised a foreign medical school on licensing, state approval, and business matters.
He is the former managing attorney and senior trial counsel at the Long Island office of house counsel for USF&G Insurance Company (currently The Travelers Companies), and he served as the Assistant Director of Claims at the New York Liquidation Bureau.
- New York State Office of Parks and Recreation Heroism Award
- United New Yorkers for Choice in Education Service Award
- Managing Attorney of the Year for USF&G Insurance Company
- New York State Bar Association
- Georgia State Bar Association
- Former member, Guild of Catholic Lawyers, American Trial Lawyers Association, Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyers
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Founding Chairman, Long Island Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation
- Former member, Long Island Science Museum Board of Directors
- Former lacrosse coach, Manhasset Police Athletic League
- Former Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 97, Boy Scouts of America
- Served in Third Brigade, First Battalion, Georgia State Defense Force
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Villanova University, B.A., 1974