- Direct — 914.798.5466
- Fax — 914.798.5401
Jensen Varghese is a partner in the firm’s White Plains office and is a member of the firm's Product Liability and General Liability Practice Groups. His practice focuses on litigating matters involving insurance coverage, product liability, construction defect, aviation, malpractice, and the defense of consumer protection statutes.
Jensen has litigated and arbitrated a variety of cases in the state and federal courts of New York, and has successfully represented product manufacturers and distributors in federal and state courts throughout the United States. He has extensive experience in the areas of contract and insurance law, as well as international treaties such as the Warsaw and Montreal Conventions.
In addition to his product liability experience, Jensen has also represented insurance carriers in numerous disputes involving commercial general liability coverage, commercial excess coverage, professional liability coverage, directors and officers liability coverage, and personal lines coverage. He also regularly counsels insurance carriers and provides coverage opinions on bad faith claims, disclaimers of coverage, coverage allocation, and policy interpretation. In recent, notable matters, Jensen has:
- Interpreted reinsurance treaties and insurance policies and represented excess insurers and reinsurers in obtaining favorable resolution of disputes by arbitration, litigation, and mediation.
- Acheived a "no probably cause" finding at the EEOC level against claims of race discrimination and retaliation against a private manufacturer of sophisticated electronics.
- Prepared, arbitrated, and aggressively negotiated a favorable settlement in a high-exposure international reinsurance action involving whole account and personal stop loss.
- Drafted and presented a successful appeal to the New York State Appellate Division reversing an award of summary judgment in a high-exposure claim against a municipal client.
- Prepared and obtained numerous summary judgment awards, including dismissal of various medical malpractice and labor law claims.
- Successfully defended a New York City private school in City Court resulting in the dismissal of all claims.
- Played an integral role in the research and writing of a successful brief submitted to the United States Supreme Court.
- Defended school administrators in disciplinary hearings before Independent Hearing Officers, and represented the interests of school boards in construction contract negotiations and collective bargaining agreements.
- Prepared compelling motions and affidavits establishing a lack of evidence warranting dismissal of a discrimination claim against school district administrators.
- Successfully defended administrators in several disciplinary hearings held before Independent Hearing Officers. Prepared and called witnesses to provide testimony, and elicited testimony from students during the hearing.
Jensen graduated from the State University of New York at Binghamton with a degree in political science and received his Juris Doctor from Fordham Law School, where he was an Associate Editor of the International Law Journal. He is a regular contributor to the firm's Insurance & Reinsurance Report blog and Casewatch: Insurance newsletter.
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2014-2016
- South Asian Bar Association of New York: Board of Directors, 2017-2019
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- ABA Minority Trial Lawyers Section
- Former Executive Committee member, Hudson Valley Malayalee Association
- Fellowship of Orthodox Christians in the United States, Suffern Chapter: Office Bearer
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- Fordham Law School, J.D., 2003
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., 2000
- Presenter, "Adjusting Aviation Claims – Best Practices For Effective Handling of Major Property Losses, Product Liability Claims Under GARA, and Contentious Coverage Disputes, While Avoiding Claims of Bad Faith," New York, NY, February 28, 2014