John I. Malone, Jr.
- Direct — 336.419.4908
- Fax — 336.419.4950
John Malone’s practice focuses on complex insurance coverage and liability matters, with a particular emphasis on construction. He represents carriers in a variety of first- and third-party coverage disputes related to the defense of general contractors/subcontractors on large multi-family construction projects involving defective components/products and installation errors.
John’s experience includes breach of contract, bad faith, unfair claims handling, and extra-contractual claims directed at insurers. In the area of property damage, he handles disputes involving matters such as fire, theft and coverage issues arising out of catastrophic events. John’s background also includes representing insurers and their insureds in catastrophic personal injury claims involving traumatic brain injuries (TBI), closed head injuries, post-traumatic stress disorder and other complex issues. In addition to his construction-related coverage work, John advises clients on reinsurance, the drafting and implementation of new policy forms, and representation of insurers on claims for coverage for trademark, copyright, and other personal and advertising matters.
By maintaining a sound understanding of developing issues in the construction field and the potential implications to the insurance industry, John assists clients with current matters while advising them on forward-looking strategies to achieve desired results. He has also presented on a broad range of issues, including construction defect, UM/UIM claims, and bad faith.
- Business North Carolina, “Legal Elite Young Guns (Best Under 40),” 2007
- Certified Litigation Management Professional, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Georgia Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- CLM Claims College School of Property, Level I and II: Executive Committee and Faculty
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Wake Forest University, B.A., 1990
- Speaker, “Resolving Property Claims,” CLM Claims Conference, 2014
- Speaker, “Why Do We Call it Bad Faith? Carolina Claim Practice Trends,” Joint North Carolina/South Carolina Bar Associations CLE, April 10, 2013
- Speaker, “Navigating the Carolinas’ Court System,” February 27, 2013