Julie P. Apter
- Direct — 716.566.5458
- Fax — 716.566.5401
Julie Apter, a partner of the firm, is a seasoned attorney with more than 30 years of experience, specializing in the practice of employment and general litigation. In the increasingly regulated and complex employment landscape, Julie provides guidance to clients with keen insight into the intricacies of successful employment litigation.
An AV-rated attorney, Julie has practiced in-house for Nationwide Insurance Company, and with the Office of the Erie County Attorney representing the County of Erie in its self-insured litigation program. Prior to joining Goldberg Segalla, she had extensive trial experience representing insureds and self-insureds in civil matters in both New York and Connecticut State Courts, including numerous premises liability cases for the County of Erie and Nationwide Insurance.
Julie represents numerous municipalities and school districts in a variety of claims, including sexual abuse litigation, sex discrimination, employment discrimination and litigation, and general personal injury defense matters. She utilizes her experience to counsel clients and offer practical information for avoiding potential liability. Julie also addresses numerous issues that arise in the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) field and has represented many life, health, and disability insurers by providing counsel on ERISA claims and representing the insurers in federal court litigation. She also represents health care providers before the New York State Division of Human Rights and EEOC, and handles the defense of nursing home matters involving claims of abuse of patients.
In addition, Julie has experience working with clients in the food and beverage industry, including the representation of a major restaurant chain in personal injury claims.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
- Top Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment Law, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers, 2013-2016; Top 25: 2016 Women Upstate New York Super Lawyers
- Business First's Legal Elite of Western New York (Labor and Employment), 2015, 2016
- Defense Research Institute: Employment Law, Governmental Liability, and Electronic Discovery Committees
- Defense Trial Lawyers of Western New York
- Western New York Trial Lawyers Association
- National Employment Law Institute
- Organization of Public Employer Negotiators (OPEN)
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- Connecticut, 1986
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Southern, Eastern, and Northern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Girl Scouts of Buffalo and Erie County, past leader
- St. Gregory the Great, ministry volunteer
- Ohio Northern University, J.D., 1984 (Moot Court Semifinalist, 1984; Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International-Chief Justice, 1983–84)
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., cum laude, 1981
- Author, New Jersey Chapter of the Uninsured Motorist and Underinsured Motorist Coverage Compendium, DRI, 2016
- Presenter, “Protecting the Attorney Client Privilege in Claims Handling and Litigation,” ICA Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 21–23, 2014
- Presenter, "Administering the Family Medical Leave Act - Reinstatement and Termination," Lorman Education Services, January 2013
- Presenter, "Employment Law Update," Sterling Education Employment Law Seminar, October 2010
- Presenter, "Employment Issues in the Paperless Workplace," Sterling Education Employment Law Update Seminar, February 2009
- Author, "Employer Held Immune from Liability for Damages Resulting from Threats Made by Employee Through his Work Computer," The Job Description, DRI, Spring 2007
- Author, "Product Liability - Prohibition of Indemnification Claims"
- Presenter, "Sex, Race and Other Harassment in the Workplace," Sterling Education, January 2007
- Presenter, "Privacy in the Workplace and Conducting an Internal Investigation," Sterling Education, January 2007
- Presenter, "How to Define Legal Job Criteria and Legally Find and Qualify Applicants," Sterling Education Hiring and Firing Seminar, August 2006
- Presenter, "Trying the Uninsured, Underinsured Motorist Claim," Lorman Education Seminar, September 2004
- Author, "The Defense," Journal of the Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association, Vol.5, No.1, October 1988, pp.3-6