Louis A. Russo
- Direct — 973.681.7025
- Fax — 973.681.7101
Louis Russo is a trusted legal advisor to domestic and international businesses and directors and officers facing complex commercial and fraud-based disputes. In addition to his general business and commercial experience, Lou has successfully represented clients in other matters involving financial services, corporate governance, securities fraud, maritime chartering disputes, employment, and residential and commercial loan servicing. In all of his matters, Lou helps his clients efficiently resolve their legal challenges through a variety of strategies best suited to their needs, including pre-suit negotiation, mediation, litigation in state and federal courts, and arbitration under the rules of the major arbitral institutions.
Lou has extensive domestic and international arbitration experience (ICC, AAA, and SMA maritime), including representing a bulk chemical fertilizer distributor in a maritime chartering dispute arbitration involving a foreign counterparty's failure to accept delivery of the fertilizer. In another matter, he represented an acquired medical device developer concerning the development and marketing of a dental imaging device by a German device manufacturer in an AAA arbitration. He has acted as counsel to one of the largest publicly traded fuel tanker companies in the world in a maritime arbitration dispute with a Norwegian shipbuilder involving ship construction and chartering. Lou has also represented a Chinese electronics manufacturer in an ICC arbitration with a Korean manufacturer over a failed joint venture. Lou has authored numerous articles on international arbitration and often speaks on the subject as well.
A magna cum laude graduate of Hofstra University School of Law, Lou was the Associate Editor of the Hofstra Law Review and the Vice President of the Moot Court Association. He also participated in the National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s trial techniques program. He received his B.A. in political science (with a minor in biology) from Villanova University.
Domestic & International Arbitration Representations:
- Bulk chemical fertilizer distribution company in a maritime arbitration of a dispute concerning a German counterparty’s failure to take delivery of ammonium sulfate (SMA maritime, New York).
- Investors of an acquired medical device developer concerning the development and marketing of a dental imaging device by a German device manufacturer (AAA, New York).
- Chinese electronics manufacturer in a dispute concerning a failed joint venture with a Korean manufacturer (ICC, Hong Kong).
- Major European technology company in multibillion-dollar arbitration over the scope of a patent license agreement (ICC, New York)
- Consultant in a dispute to recoup consulting fees (AAA, Georgia).
- The largest publicly traded fuel tanker companies in the world in a maritime arbitration of a contract dispute with a Norwegian shipbuilder concerning construction and chartering of vessels (SMA maritime, New York).
Financial Services & Securities Litigation Representations:
- UK bank in RMBS representation and warranty lawsuits filed by trustees and liquidating trusts involving billions in loans.
- Multiple trustees in litigations arising from disputes over collateralized debt obligation (CDO) transactions.
- Insurance company and its directors and officers in a securities fraud class action and derivative lawsuits.
- Directors and officers of a failed residential builder in securities fraud class action litigation and bankruptcy adversary proceedings asserting breach of fiduciary duty and other claims.
- Official committee of unsecured creditors and plan administrator in bankruptcy adversary proceedings relating to the mismanagement of a failed construction lending company.
- U.S. bank in residential mortgage foreclosure actions in New England.
- U.S. bank in action to secure title to real property.
General Commercial Litigation Representations:
- Prominent businessman in a series of litigations relating to fraud perpetrated by his son relating to the purported purchase of a national magazine.
- Special servicer in actions against various guarantors of defaulted loans.
- Employer and newly hired employees in litigation concerning restrictive covenants and trade secrets.
- Energy company in consumer protection dispute concerning gasoline pricing.
- Common carrier in high volume package litigations.
- AV Preeminent Peer-Review Rating (Martindale-Hubbell)
- View peer-review methodologies at martindale.com. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New York City Small Claims Court Arbitrator
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Inner-City Scholarship Fund: Lawyers Committee
- Mentor, Villanova BRIDGE Society
- Delegate, United Nations Commission on International Trade Law 2016 Working Group for Arbitration and Conciliation
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007
- Villanova University, B.A., 2002
- Co-Author, “Your Arbitral Awards are Safe: U.S. Courts are Deferential to Arbitral Disclosure Rulings,” Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, October 2015
- Panelist, “Utilizing Technology in Dispute Resolution,” Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2015
- Co-Author, “New York’s Highest Court Rejects Attempt to Compel Nonsignatory to Arbitrate Under the Direct Benefits Estoppel Doctrine,” Young ICCA Blog, May 2015
- Co-Author, “Navigating the Complexities of International Arbitration,” Bloomberg BNA, February 2014
- Panelist, “Why Choose International Arbitration?”, Asian-American Bar Association of New York, 2014
- Co-Author, “New Curbs on Arbitrator Interviews,” Global Arbitration Review, June 2013
- Author, “Recent Developments in Delaware Business and Securities Law, Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter and Bank and Corporate Governance Law,” Delaware Quarterly, January 2013
- Panelist, “Mediation: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” ICC Young Arbitrator Forum, 2013
- Co-Author, “How Morrison Inadvertently Broadens Extraterritorial Actions,” New York Law Journal, August 2012
- Quoted in Bloomberg Law Report — Securities Law, February 2012
- Co-Author, “Tellabs, Matrixx & Scienter: Forget the Trees and Focus on the Forest,” Wall Street Lawyer, July 2011
- Co-Author, “From the Experts: Piecing it Together,” Corporate Counsel, June 2011
- Author, “New Developments in Securities Litigation, Inside the Minds: Leading Lawyers are Working with Federal Agencies, Complying with New Legislation, and Monitoring Compliance,” Thomson, 2011
- Author, Author, “Proper Policy: Excess Insurer Liability Following Settlements for Less,” The SIRMon, ABA, Winter 2009
- Author, “The Consequences of Arbitrating a Legal Malpractice Claim: Rebuilding Faith in the Legal Profession,” 35 Hofstra Law Review 327, 2006