Michael D. Schweitzer
- Direct — 860.760.3324
- Fax — 860.760.3301
Michael Schweitzer has dedicated his career to the defense of workers’ compensation claims. He leads Goldberg Segalla’s Connecticut workers’ compensation practice and brings to each matter extensive experience defending respondents before Connecticut’s Workers’ Compensation Commission; deposing claimants, witnesses, medical professionals, and other experts; and advising on all aspects of Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Law. He represents self-insured employers, employers with large retentions and deductibles, insurance carriers, and third-party administrators.
He is part of the Goldberg Segalla team that has developed its own comprehensive way of handling workers’ compensation claims designed to maximize quality of service and results. The team’s practice model includes keeping each file with the same attorney through the entire litigation process; providing pre-hearing and post-hearing reports that apprise the claim professional of future risk/exposure, the defense strategy, and any recent developments in the claim; and aggressively exploring settlement possibilities through stipulation agreements. Michael is the author of Goldberg Segalla’s Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Manual for Employers and Carriers, and he is pleased to provide a copy upon request.
Michael is also a proven trial lawyer who has obtained more than 10 first-chair jury and bench trial verdicts, successfully resolved high-exposure cases through alternative dispute resolution, and argued cases on appeal before the Connecticut Appellate Court. Michael has defended companies in multimillion-dollar actions stemming from motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, product liability, and other torts. This work has involved utilizing experts in accident reconstruction, vocational rehabilitation, economics, neuropsychology, and other fields to successfully defend complex and potentially high-value claims involving severe and catastrophic personal injuries.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
- Connecticut Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2015
- TYLA Regional Mock Trial Competition: Champion, Spring 2007; Semi-Finalist, Spring 2006
- Mock Trial Honor Society Intramural Competition: Champion, Fall 2006
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, Graduation Awards: Oberst Mock Trial Honor Society Advocate; Outstanding Performance in Oral Advocacy; Superior Classroom Performance; Service to the Law School; and Service to the Community
- Connecticut Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section
- Connecticut Valley Chapter of the Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Defense Research Institute
Admitted to Practice
- Connecticut, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D., 2007 (President, Mock Trial Honor Society and Phi Delta Phi Burns Inn; Associate Editor, Health Law Journal)
- Northeastern University, B.S., cum laude, 2004 (Dean’s List, 2001–04; Member, Financial Management National Honor Society)