Michael P. Kandler
- Direct — 914.798.5444
- Fax — 914.798.5401
Michael Kandler is an accomplished litigator with a practice that focuses on insurance coverage, professional liability defense, commercial litigation, and appellate practice.
Mike is a leading practitioner in the field of insurance coverage litigation. He regularly counsels insurance carriers and provides coverage opinions regarding issues such as bad faith claims, disclaimers of coverage, coverage allocation, and policy interpretation. He has represented insurance carriers in numerous insurance coverage disputes involving commercial general liability coverage, commercial excess coverage, professional liability coverage, directors and officers liability coverage, and personal lines coverage. He has extensive experience in the representation of insurance carriers in coverage disputes involving property claims, construction defect claims, product liability claims, and advertising injury coverage. In 2009, Mike successfully argued the appeal in Sport Rock International, Inc. v. American Cas. Co. of Reading, PA, a seminal case regarding coverage allocation and the interpretation of “other insurance” clauses.
An experienced appellate lawyer, Mike has argued over 70 appeals, including cases before the New York State Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He is also an experienced commercial litigator who regularly represents clients in intellectual property claims in federal court.
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM): Insurance Coverage Committee
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2010-2011, 2013-2016
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1988 (Member, Fordham Urban Law Journal)
- Colgate University, B.A., 1984
- Presenter, "The Erosion of the Attorney-Client Privilege and Other Discovery Issues in Bad Faith Litigation," Bad Faith Litigation Strategies ExecuSummit, May 5, 205
- Co-Chair and Presenter, "Bad Faith First Party Third Party Coverage Denials," 1st Annual Bad Faith Litigation Strategies ExecuSummit, Uncasville, CT, November 4-5, 2014
- Author, “Law on Claims for Bad Faith Denials of Liability Coverage Still Unsettled,” New York Law Journal, Vol. 247, No. 118, June 20, 2012
- Presenter, “The Professional Liability Exclusion and the Sexual Abuse Exclusion in Personal Lines Policies,” NYSBA CLE, Advanced Insurance Coverage, 2012
- Presenter: “What Constitutes Other Insurance?” 2010 Insurance Coverage Update: NYSBA CLE, Insurance Coverage Issues in the Commercial General Liability Policy —Emerging Issues for the Next Decade, July 2010
- Co-Author, “The Thorny Path Through Undue Familiarity Claims,” Professional Liability Underwriting Society Journal, May 2, 2002, Vol. XV, No. 5