Oliver E. Twaddell
- Direct — 646.292.8751
- Fax — 646.292.8701
Oliver Twaddell handles a wide range of commercial litigation, including cases involving property damage, land use and environmental contamination, and contract disputes, as well as a range of general tort actions. His experience also includes counseling foreign banks, corporations, and individuals in civil litigation, both at trial and on appeal.
Oliver is a contributor to the firm's Product Liability Playbook blog. While earning his Juris Doctor from The George Washington University Law School, Oliver was a legal intern with the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office in Maryland and the Westchester County District Attorney’s Office in New York. He also participated in the school’s Van Vleck Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition and the Cohen and Cohen Mock Trial Competition. Oliver is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society.
Commercial, Complex, and Other Litigation, and Appellate Representations
- Major pharmaceutical company and its subsidiary in federal litigation and arbitration against claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent misrepresentation, and equitable claims arising out of a joint venture relationship. After a merger between the pharmaceutical company and its newly owned subsidiary, the plaintiff company asserted cliams for millions of dollars in exposure based on the acquisition of the subsidiary, and purported ownership interest in a drug developed by the joint venture.
- Health insurance company against securities fraud claims under 10(b) and 20(a), and common law fraud and breach of contract claims.
- Product manufacturer involved in an arbitration concerning breach of contract, breach of warranty, and negligence claims arising from multimillion-dollar property damage at a distribution center.
- Significant holding company and its general contractor concerning a high-profile redevelopment project and allegations of negligence in maintaining proper air quality.
- Insurance broking and risk management group against allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets and violations of restrictive covenants in a relatively new and distinct area of the insurance industry.
- Electric company against allegations of breach of contract, negligence, and unfair trade practices concerning complex issues of the construction of a high-voltage cable system at a power generation facility, which later exploded and caused millions of dollars in property damage.
- Real estate development company in breach of contract action concerning the sale of a property to a condominium company and whether environmental remediation steps had been adequately addressed.
- Saudi Arabian corporation and bank in federal litigation concerning various actions, including Alien Tort Statute and common law tort claims.
- International travel corporation and its president against a $30 million lawsuit based on claims of breach of contract, fraud, conspiracy, and breach of fiduciary obligation involving a joint venture relationship.
- Prominent international businessman and Saudi Arabian multinational conglomerate against a multibillion-dollar complex federal lawsuit.
- 501c(3) group in lawsuit against a Middle Eastern country and its regime for various human rights violations.
- New York construction company with city-wide contracts in various premises liability actions.
- Insurance company in complex Defense Base Act administrative action involving allegations concerning the connection between a traumatic brain injury and suicide.
- Assisted in briefing appellate arguments on behalf of a large corporation, an individual, and a bank at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit where the lower court's dismissal of claims against clients was affirmed.
- Drafted principal and reply briefs filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on an employment law matter related to allegations of discrimination.
- Drafted principal and reply briefs filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on a merit systems protection board case.
- Assisted in the representation of hundreds of veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
- New York State Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2011
- American University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2007
Presentations and Publications
- Co-Author, “Forecasting Rough Waters on the Horizon: EPA Overreach and the Clean Water Act,” Mealey’s Pollution Liability Report, November 2016
- Presenter, “Roughwaters on the Horizon — EPA Overreach Involving the Clean Water Act," Webinar, September 30, 2016
- Co-Author, "Clarity on the Term Reside is Good News for NY Landlords," Law360, August 26, 2016
- Co-Author, “Corporate Risk Presented by Ever-Evolving and Growing Cyber Crimes: Trying Times for Directors & Officers,” PLUS Journal, March 2015; Mealey’s Litigation Report: Cyber Tech & E-Commerce, April 2015; Mealey’s Emerging Securities Litigation, July 2015