Robert M. Hanlon, Jr.
- Direct — 609.986.1340
- Fax — 609.986.1301
Robert Hanlon, Jr. is a partner in the firm’s Princeton, New Jersey office. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers* and a member of the National Board of Directors for the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). He enjoys teaching as well as practicing trial advocacy. He has been on the faculty of ABOTA’s weeklong National Trial College at Harvard Law School since its inception in 2010, and he had the honor of serving as the Dean of the College in 2014 and 2016. Along with his partner, David Osterman, he coaches Princeton University’s AMTA intercollegiate mock trial competition team.
*“Fellowship is extended only by invitation, after careful investigation, to those experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy … Membership can never be more than 1 percent of the total lawyer population of any state or province.” www.actl.com
Robert is an active trial attorney who has tried more than 30 cases to verdict in nine states, including such challenging venues as Los Angeles County, California; Cook County, Illinois; Bronx County, New York; and Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. He is regularly retained by self-insured manufacturers, trucking companies, and excess insurance providers to litigate and try their most serious cases. Robert has the necessary trial experience to address both the emotional and the technical issues inherent in such litigation. He has deposed, presented, and cross-examined hundreds of expert witnesses, and he recently served on a New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education panel addressing the use of accident reconstruction and bio-mechanics experts in automotive litigation.
Robert concentrates his practice on the defense of product liability, transportation, and catastrophic personal injury litigation. A member of the Product Liability Advisory Council, he represents manufacturers of automobiles and trucks, consumer products, children's toys, and industrial equipment. On behalf of his automotive clients, he has litigated matters involving nearly all aspects of automobile design and he has tried cases involving defect allegations related to roof structures, cruise control systems, transmissions, starter and shift interlocks, seats, brakes, and airbag systems.
Robert is an experienced transportation litigator and a member of the Truck Industry Defense Association. He serves as Regional Coordinating Counsel for a multi-national trucking and logistics company. In that capacity, he oversees and tries the company's catastrophic personal injury cases throughout the eastern United States. He is often called upon to conduct or supervise rapid response investigations of truck crashes. Recognizing the importance of preserving evidence in the aftermath of a crash, Robert authored the firm's detailed protocols for attorneys, investigators, and accident reconstruction experts. He also prepared a comprehensive list of commercial motor vehicle documents with cross-references to, and summaries of, applicable federal regulations. He has assisted his clients with safety training and has presented lectures on topics including FMCSR compliance and the consequence of non-compliance; truck accident investigation; crash scene management; the development and use of expert witness testimony in trucking litigation; conducting investigations and discovery so as to avoid surprises; and potential conflicts of interest created by multi-party trucking disputes.
Representative cases in which Robert has recently been retained include:
- An automotive product liability action brought on behalf of a two-year-old girl who sustained quadriplegia injuries
- A negligence action stemming from a trucking accident in which one person was killed and 12 others were seriously injured
- A product liability lawsuit involving the collapse of a warehouse racking system that resulted in spinal cord injuries
- An automotive negligence matter stemming from an accident in South Africa that resulted in debilitating traumatic brain injuries
- A product liability action involving an industrial meat mixer-blender and a partial hand amputation
Following graduation with High Honors from George Washington University Law School, Robert served as an Assistant District Attorney in Bronx County, New York from 1992 to 1996, during which time he tried felony cases as a member of the Violent Crimes Bureau. He has earned an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- AV Preeminent Peer-Review Rating (Martindale-Hubbell)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation: Defendants, 2015-2017
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2013-2016 (Thomson Reuters)
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Transportation Law
- View peer-review methodologies at martindale.com, bestlawyers.com, and superlawyers.com. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- American College of Trial Lawyers: New Jersey State Committee
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA): National Board of Directors; Faculty, National Trial College; Co-Chair, National Trial College Committee; 7th Amendment and Jury Innovation Committee
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Defense Research Institute: Products Liability Committee; Trucking Law Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Office of the District Attorney, Bronx County, New York, 1992-1996
- Hanlon, Boglioli & Hanlon, 1996-2008
- George Washington University, J.D., High Honors, 1992
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 1989
- Contributor, Product Liability Playbook: Insights Into Product Liability, Risk Avoidance, and Consumer Fraud Class Actions blog: http://gsriskmitigationblog.com
- Dean and Faculty Member, ABOTA National Trial College at Harvard Law School, July 2016
- Faculty Member, Civil Trial Advocacy Summer Institute, American College of Trial Lawyers and N.J. Institute for Continuing Legal Education, July 2016
- Speaker, “Proofs at Trial in a Nutshell,” N.J. Institute for Continuing Legal Education, November 2014
- Dean and Faculty Member, ABOTA National Trial College at Harvard Law School, June 2014
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in Product Liability Law," N.J. State Bar Association, Product Liability & Toxic Tort Section, February 2013
- Speaker, “Establishing the Theme of Your Case Through Paper Discovery,” N.J. Institute for Continuing Legal Education, November 2012
- Speaker, "A Day of Accident Reconstruction," N.J. Institute for Continuing Legal Education, August 2012
- Faculty Member, ABOTA National Trial College at Harvard Law School, July 2012
- Co-Author, “Keeping In-House Counsel Off the Stand (And Outside Counsel Out of the Doghouse),” DRI In-House Defense Quarterly, Summer 2012
- Faculty Member, ABOTA National Trial College at Princeton University, June 2010
- Speaker, Masters in Trial, ABOTA, December 2009
- Co-Author, "Second Circuit, Spoliation of Evidence: A Compendium of State and Federal Law," DRI, 2006
- Co-Author, "Driver Discipline: Application of the Subsequent Remedial Measures Doctrine," For the Defense, DRI, February 2006