William J. Greagan
- Direct — 518.935.4220
- Fax — 518.463.5420
William Greagan is a partner in the firm’s Albany office. An AV-rated attorney, his practice areas include general negligence, transportation, construction, environmental, product liability, and toxic torts, including lead paint and asbestos.
A large portion of Bill's practice is devoted to counseling and defending members of the construction industry against actions for construction site injuries and contractual liabilities. He is Co-Chair of Goldberg Segalla’s Construction Practice Group and is an active member of the Associated General Contractors of New York State, where he is involved in issues of risk management, insurance, and legislative reform.
Bill’s experience also includes the defense of environmental actions under CERCLA and petroleum discharges under NY’s Navigation Act. He has represented manufacturers in large multi-party litigations involving environmental remediation and has acted as liaison counsel for 150 third party defendants in CERCLA landfill cases.
Bill also specializes in legal issues involving municipal and law enforcement liability, defending municipalities, county jails, sheriffs departments, and other public agencies. He defends such agencies against lawsuits brought by detainees and others who claim civil rights violations. For more than a decade, Bill has been active in numerous cases brought pursuant to U.S. Code Section 1983, alleging claims from wrongful arrest to deprivation of civil rights.
He has represented several national trucking companies, operators of construction dump trucks, and other commercial transportation clients and their drivers in a wide range of matters, including environmental and product liability actions, personal injury and wrongful death suits, and traffic infractions. His liability defense litigation experience also includes a range of issues related to governmental liability, including road design, slip-and-fall cases, as well as lawsuits involving public employment.
Bill has lectured on products liability and other topics for the New York State Bar Association. In addition, he authored “Liability of Inspection Stations for Negligent Inspections” for In Transit, the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Trucking Newsletter.
He graduated cum laude from Albany Law School of Union University, where he was a member of the Justinian Society. He received his undergraduate degree from Siena College.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
- Who's Who in American Law
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers (Construction Litigation)
- Associated General Contractors of New York State: Insurance Task Force, Government Relations Committee, and Industry Relations Committee
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) — Empire State Chapter
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Western Districts of New York
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., cum laude, 1988 (Justinian Society; Gabrielli Appellate Moot Court Competition Best Brief Award)
- Siena College, B.A. in Political Science, 1985
- Presenter, “Construction Law Update,” CPCU Society, Inc. Northeastern New York Chapter, March 2015
- Presenter, “Killer Contract Clauses: Indemnity and Insurance,” NESCA/AGC/ECA Educational Partnership Seminar, March 2015
- Author, "Reforming New York Labor Law Section 240(1)," Albany Law Review, January 2015
- Panelist, "What Goes On in the Mind of Your Underwriter," NYS Construction Industry Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY, December 10, 2014
- Presenter, “New Acord 855 New York Construction Certificate of Liability Insurance Addendum,” Associated General Contractors of New York State Webinar, Albany, NY, May 21, 2014
- Presenter, “Killer Contract Clauses,” NESCA/AGC/ECA Educational Partnership Seminar, Albany, NY, March 4, 2014
- Presenter, “Scaffold Law Reform,” Hudson Valley Construction Industry Partnership Conference, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, February 12, 2014
- Presenter, Associated Building Contractors Statewide Conference, Albany, NY, November 14–15, 2013
- Presenter, “The Essential Defense Theories,” New York State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program: Litigating the Products Liability Case: Law and Practice, Albany, NY, November 1, 2013
- Co-Author, “Lead Litigation: Recent Trends and Key Strategies for Defense Counsel,” New York State Bar Association Torts, Insurance & Compensation Law Section Journal, Winter 2012
- Presenter, "Risk Management and Insurance For Project Managers and Job Superintendents," Associated General Contractors - NYS Construction Industry Conference, December 4-5, 2012
- Co-Author, “Lead Litigation: Recent Trends and Key Strategies for Defense Counsel,”USLAW, Fall/Winter 2012
- Quoted in “Costly Myths About a Bad N.Y. Law,”NY Daily News, July 24, 2012
- Presenter, "County Jails - Liability Issues and Risk Reduction," County Attorneys' Association of the State of New York, Inc. (CAASNY), Cooperstown, New York, May 2, 2011
- Co-Author, “Lead Paint Injuries – Causation and Discovery,” For The Defense, Toxic Tort and Environmental Law, January 2010
- Author, “Liability of Inspection Stations For Negligent Inspections,” In Transit, the Defense Research Institute’s Trucking Newsletter, Fall/Winter 2009
- Co-Author, "New York Court of Appeals Rejects the Product Line Exception to Successor Corporate Liability," New York State Bar Association, Torts, Insurance & Compensation Law Section Journal, Fall 2006
- Co-Author, "Use of the PLRA in Federal Civil Rights Actions," For The Defense, - Young Lawyers, A Practitioner's Guide, Defense Research Institute, April 2006
- NYSBA and Member Goldberg Segalla LLP, Preserve Indemnity Contracts, New York State Builders Association, Empire State Builder, March/April 2006
- Presenter, Snow and Ice, Defense Research Institute of Northeastern New York and Insurance Professionals of Albany, March 2006
- "Defendants' Perspective on Defending Labor Law Cases" at Analyzing Labor Law Sections 200, 240(1) and 241 in Light of Current Case Law: Plaintiffs' and Defendants' Perspectives Seminar, Albany County Bar Association
- Presenter, Product Liability - Warnings, New York State Bar Association
- Presenter, Product Liability - Evidence, New York State Bar Association
- Presenter, Update - No-Fault Insurance, Albany County Claims Association
- Presenter, No-Fault Insurance Coverage Update - Sponsored by the Lorman Group