Goldberg Segalla serves as national and coordinating counsel for both closely held and Fortune 500 companies whose products have been accused of causing fires. We represent insureds and insurers in fire litigation throughout the United States, including cases involving:
- Large loss subrogation defense
- Catastrophic burn injury
- Death actions
Our nationally recognized team of trial lawyers is experienced in the defense of all types of litigation involving and arising out of fire. We have considerable knowledge regarding the investigation of fire claims, having accompanied experts to hundreds of fire scene investigations and product inspections. In fact, a member of our Product Liability Practice Group is a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) — which provides Goldberg Segalla clients the competitive advantage of having on their side fire investigation credentials that often match or exceed those of opposing expert witnesses. Our hands-on approach includes:
- Crawling around and getting our hands dirty at fire scenes whenever possible, so that we are better able to fully and knowledgeably address nearly any detail in the case
- Getting deeply involved with our clients’ products so that we have a thorough understanding of product design and function, together with the underlying scientific principals necessary to debunk the “experts” offered by our adversaries
- Maintaining close contact with some of the best defense experts around the country, and teaming our clients with experts who adhere to scientific principles and methodologies
- Confronting so-called “experts” who have less familiarity with our clients’ products than we do; at Goldberg Segalla, we are proud to have contributed to numerous publications addressing fire litigation and the exclusion of “junk science” experts
The attorneys at Goldberg Segalla have also served on numerous national committees and organizations dedicated to the defense of fire litigation. They have chaired the Defense Research Institute’s Product Liability Committee, its Fire and Casualty Specialized Litigation Group and its Children’s Products Specialized Litigation Group, and have also chaired and lectured at the annual seminars of this organization.
Visit our Trial by FIre blog for the latest defense strategies and other developments impacting fire science litigation.